Vragen en info over kunstmatige nesten
Plaats reactie
Skippy
Lid
Leeftijd: 35

Project Stormhold [Formicary for L.fuliginosus][EN]

Bericht door Skippy »

Hello everyone,

for a longer time I have not visited this forum , but last month I had more time for ant keeping and study ants - and it just means that I have created some formicaries and still working on some.

I always say , we all as ant keeping community need to improve and test many unusual kinds and mechanism in formicaries , hope that ants will accept that and so. If you do not agree , nevermind :)

So , here is my "Project Stormhold" and its fotodocumentary.

PROJECT STORMHOLD

This formicary has been made in aquarium in size of 40x25x25 cm. It is not big ... I agree.

I have used too:
- technical cork plate 15mm (made of 0,5-1mm pieces - stronger than usual 2-4mm pieces)
- cork soil - dirt of cork pieces ca 0,5-1mm
- my mixture of soil
- natural things - leafs etc
- PTFE , glue...

Not so expensive , only that cork is little big expensive, here in Slovakia 940 x 635 x 15 mm = 20,33 € - but it is so big that I have made 2 bigger and 2 smaller formicaries with that.

This formicary is whole prototype. I can say that I have no longer experiences with keeping of Lasius fuliginosus.
I´ve tried to make formicary , which may be good for ants aswell , same it looks nicely when I show it to girls lol :D
It is little bit compromise between me and ants always.

Lasius fuliginosus

Workers <4mm
Queen + - 6,5mm
- strong shiny black body with massive head

They build nests mostly in hollow trees , sometimes in buildings or dead wood on ground. Whole nest is cartoon-type made of sugar mixture (ca 50 percent) mixed with pieces of soil and wood. This material is many times fixed with Cladosporium myrmecophilum fungus.
It is hyper-parasite , its host is mostly Lasius umbratus , but L. mixtus , L. brunneus also possible , rarely Lasius niger or L.alienus.

Afbeelding

Before I started to build a formicary , I checked internet to see experience of other ant-keepers in keeping of Lasius fuliginosus. I can say that I´ve not found so much of quality materials or keepers who keep bigger colonies.

I think the best information gave me Frank Mattheis http://www.eusozial.de/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=666 , experienced German ant-keeper.

Very motivational was his concept of simply ant-display type nest heated by lamp. It is good made , because in nature are Chtonolasius and Dendrolasius nests very hot inside , many times more than 35°C in.
You can see in his topic , how walls and structure of nest change by changing ratio of L.umbratus and L.fuliginosus worker numbers.
Structure of these chambers was essential info for me.

Showcase of Frank Mattheis´s nest:
Afbeelding

I can say that I can thank to local myrmecologists/taxonomist by keeping informations for me too.

Ok , so let it start.

Aquarium with cork table and pieces I´ve cut off - 3 same sized pieces.

Afbeelding

Idea was to make it nice looking and too big to create bigger capacity for bigger colony inside. So I will no ban them to dig or not to estamblish nest somewhere where I do not want - they can do it everywhere they want.

Well , I´ve made "L" style cork nest , what is secondary nest for them. I wish they will live there and grow there. When they grow up so much , they can live in primary nest in arena.

So...
Afbeelding

Here you can see all 3 pieces. First is just a whole nest cover from behind with hole to second part ("L" shape) , second is something like frame , this all will be filled of soil mixture. Third is chamber part - it is not neccessary , but it looks good , same filled with mixture.
On top of "frame part" you can see enters to the nest , one primar , some smaller.

Transfer to second part of the nest:
Afbeelding

As I said , I will be happy when colony grow up to fill all this "L" part ... and will try to create bigger nest in all aquarium. As we all know , ants can dig in cork. But this one is stronger ... so I have made small scars to make it easier to their mandibules.
Afbeelding

All 3 pieces glued together:
Afbeelding

Second part , what I joined to first part - transfer to first part on picture.
Afbeelding

Here are all two blocks situated in aquarium for better imagination. In my hobble opinion , this material looks very pretty. These cork parts are not glued to the glass ... they are well cut and stay there btw glasses of aquarium itself.
Afbeelding

How I said , this all will be filled with nest material , to make material to create cartoon walls there , or just fill it not to scare small colony inside.

It is mixture of:
40 percent cork dirt (0,5-1mm)
40 percent cocoo soil with peat (this mix I had in tank all wet on my balcoon for 1 year and became very dark black humus)
20 percent soil from inside of tree (I´ve just found live tree with hole and digged that wood dirt from there)

I´ve tested it on pieces of glasses , if it glue on glass (not to see into nest) or not. It does not paste on it , almost.

It get moisture very well :)

Afbeelding

This is primar part of nest - part where they can live when whole "L nest" will be filled. Some cork pieces there fix these cork blocks - because there was hole ca 2mm btw cork block and aquarium. Now it is all fixed. I´ve put also pieces of block horizontally on it ... - to easier make of arena surface.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

With triangle pieces of cork I´ve made this hill , to make a construction of bark put on it in arena scheme.

Afbeelding

Formicary filled with mixture - top chamber half empty:

Afbeelding
Afbeelding

I think it looks pretty in real , on photos little bit poor :D

Arena surface:
Afbeelding

And finally , whole surface. There is also ca 1cm of forest soil and on it put moss and bark , leafs and some underground species of insects (Colembola etc.)

I like this species of moss , it is all green , when it die or it is dry. Can you imagine , that all that green moss is from my box where i have it situated for 2-3 years for these purposes? , very interesting :) god bless this moss species.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

That "hill" is almost all covered of pieces of bark. In real it looks like piece of root show a top from ground. There are made these holes from nest parts under these bark pieces. It looks good and I can say my colony loves it.

Watering - I just put water in arena , soil moisture it very well. Every morning I spray water on mosses and surface , not to kill these small animals what lives there.

Colony of Lasius fuliginosus is actually about 1 queen and ca 50 host workers.

I hope you like it

Adrian
Pogonomyrmex barbatus , Myrmecocystus mexicanus , Camponotus habereri , Lasius fuliginosus , Lasius distinguendus , Lasius sp. , Formica sanguinea , Camponotus vagus , Manica rubida
http://www.insectarium.cz/e-shop/ - ants and formicaries for sale
Gortello
Lid
Contacteer:

Re: Project Stormhold [Formicary for Lasius fuliginosus ][EN]

Bericht door Gortello »

Looks great, nice job.
Martijn
Lid

Bericht door Martijn »

I like it!
Phantom
Lid
Contacteer:

Bericht door Phantom »

Looks great. Aren't you afraid of the ants digging in the cork? How did you obtain the queen + host workers?
Skippy
Lid

Bericht door Skippy »

I think it is good to see a colony now , when is young. When there will be hundreats of ants , it is good when they dig their own nest , because only they know how to make it good (we can just learn from them).
Now I need to see queen and workers and brood how it develope , later I do not need - hope to see a queen sometimes and so :)

I have queen cought this year June - with added young (small) workers of Lasius umbratus and Lasius niger mix ... ca 40 umbratus and maybe 10 niger. It was a gift from my friend.
Pogonomyrmex barbatus , Myrmecocystus mexicanus , Camponotus habereri , Lasius fuliginosus , Lasius distinguendus , Lasius sp. , Formica sanguinea , Camponotus vagus , Manica rubida
Lvet
Lid
Contacteer:

Bericht door Lvet »

So you have actually managed to raise a Lasius fuliginosus colony? How many workers does it count? Formicarium looks great by the way.
ANTfinity.comLasius nigerMyrmica rubraPolyrhachis divesMessor barbarusPheidole pallidula Temnothorax nylanderi
Skippy
Lid

Bericht door Skippy »

I think that until winter I will get only 1 first generation of fuliginosus workers , but I hope after hibernation all thinks will do great
Lvet
Lid
Contacteer:

Bericht door Lvet »

Please keep us up with your progress, I'm very curious. About the cork, doesn't it get moldy if you keep it very wet?
ANTfinity.comLasius nigerMyrmica rubraPolyrhachis divesMessor barbarusPheidole pallidula Temnothorax nylanderi
Plaats reactie