Vragen en info over gedrag, observaties, anatomie, enz. van mieren
Plaats reactie
Skippy
Lid
Leeftijd: 35

Prenolepis nitens

Bericht door Skippy »

Hello,

I´ve made this topic just for share a bit of my knowledge with this community, so not a blog or somethink else.

You probably read a name of this ant species first time. Well , it is one of the rarest European species aswell.
There is not much documentation about them... , but I think it is good to know , that some of this kind lives here.
It lives more into East , for you as Benelux is nearest location south Austria or Slovakia where these ants lives.

Why I am so interested in study of these ants? It is only one specie in Europe , who make honey pot , like Myrmecocystus species in USA. In closely look , it is very similar to Prenolepis imparis in USA.
It is underground ant , what keep some species of root aphids , especially on roots of oak trees.

Worker: 3-3,8mm
Queen: 9mm + -
Color is about dark brown into red , queen brown into yellow.

At friday 25. March I was watching swarm of these ants all day in location where they live. I´ve made many HD videos of these ants , here is some sample , where you can see queen and males trying to copulate:

I´ve cought 17 queens what I now keep in laboratory nest for study. It is very difficult to keep , however I´ve tried it for several years with no success (queens always died in some days after cought...)...
Wish me a luck! :)

Here are some photos of the ants :) , if you have any question , you can ask me in this topic too...

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding
Pogonomyrmex barbatus , Myrmecocystus mexicanus , Camponotus habereri , Lasius fuliginosus , Lasius distinguendus , Lasius sp. , Formica sanguinea , Camponotus vagus , Manica rubida
http://www.insectarium.cz/e-shop/ - ants and formicaries for sale
efbi
Lid

Re: Prenolepis nitens

Bericht door efbi »

I'd like to hear as soon as you have a successful colony. :)
I hope some queens survive this time.
So close, no matter how far
Couldn't be much more from the heart
Forever trusting who we are
and nothing else matters
Lvet
Lid
Contacteer:

Bericht door Lvet »

It would be very interesting if a colony would survive and if they actually would make honeypot ants in captivity. If you succeed, please make some pictures.

By the way, some of those species are edibe, right? Is Prenolepis nitens also edible? You could have a delightful snack once in a time. ;)
ANTfinity.comLasius nigerMyrmica rubraPolyrhachis divesMessor barbarusPheidole pallidula Temnothorax nylanderi
Skippy
Lid
Leeftijd: 35

Bericht door Skippy »

My queens has larvae at the moment and they are doing very well! I´ve discovered that they prefer to estamblish colony on its own - workers do not do anything bad , but I think that in some samples eggs has been eaten (probably by these workers..) , so in the future , if I would make an colony , probably the best choice from single queen only.
I will make photos soon.. (it is quite difficult to capture them)

Are they edible? - I´ve tested it with myrmecologists when we were in forest and damn , they are not so good snack :) ... it is not like sugar ... just ant , little bit acid
Pogonomyrmex barbatus , Myrmecocystus mexicanus , Camponotus habereri , Lasius fuliginosus , Lasius distinguendus , Lasius sp. , Formica sanguinea , Camponotus vagus , Manica rubida
http://www.insectarium.cz/e-shop/ - ants and formicaries for sale
Martijn
Lid

Bericht door Martijn »

Good news!
I hope this is your first succesfull colony of this species.
Plaats reactie