Camponotus xiangban(antmc)

Alle Camponotus kolonies van de leden
Plaats reactie
antmc
Lid

Camponotus xiangban(antmc)

Bericht door antmc »

This is Camponotus xiangban. It has one queen and mor than 500 works. They emit an intense aroma, when subjected to stimuli.
JPG_2013102609484513.jpg
JPG_2013102609492112.jpg
JPG_2013103018272016.jpg
JPG_2013103018274719.jpg
JPG_2013103018252021.jpg
JPG_201312311958395.jpg
JPG_201312311958395.jpg
JPG_201312312000282.jpg
JPG_201312311957196.jpg
Je hebt niet voldoende permissies om de bijlagen van dit bericht te bekijken.
I have: Messor aciculatus,M.valentinae,M.minor hesperius,M.wasmanni,M.spec,M.ebeninus,M.cf. erectus,M.capitatus,M.barbarus,M.structor,Manica rubida, Pachycondyla astute.And more than a dozen species of Camponotus.I am willing to share my experience.
Zimmerman
Lid
Leeftijd: 54

Re: Camponotus xiangban(antmc)

Bericht door Zimmerman »

Nice !
Will you give any more details on how you rear them?
When and with how many ants did you start the colony? Do you have any information about their origin (where do they come from)? What does the aroma smell like? Do you give them a winter break?

By the way, this is my small colony:

Right now, I keep them at around 15-20°C.
Zimmerman
Lid

Bericht door Zimmerman »

Just saw from one of your other posts that you are "Ants of China". This is great, in that you can actually give us a lot of information about this ant species. Do you have any photos of the habitat where this species is found? I would appreciate if you post some photos or describe the sites. I know that they like to dig, so they obviously are soil dwellers.
What is the lowest temperature that they can take in winter? The ant looks very similar to C. wassmanni mutilarius, which can be found in northern Vietnam, where it can have temperatures below 10°C in winter. Do you know if this ant can withstand temperatures around 0°C?

Please post anything you know regarding this species.
antmc
Lid

Bericht door antmc »

Distributed in China, Yunnan, Guangxi and other provinces, soil nests, often located in Woodside, thin grass. Den mature large complex community, can reach one meter deep. Like in a cool environment, usually mainly from small ants foraging, feeding mainly honeydew, tree pulp or small dead insects and so on.

Worker body length 6.5 ~ 12.0mm. After a black head and abdomen, upper jaw, antennae, and thoracic and abdominal foot brown black, brown and red and nodular abdominal section, the first section on the back of each side of the abdomen after an irregular brownish red light spots. In addition to the palate and propodeum bevel bright, the body engraved points the rest of the rough, lack luster, body erect hairy white clouds, pubescent be rich. Palate with 7 teeth; lip base with ridges; antennae ridge short, the end away from each other; compound eyes oval, does not exceed the cephalic margin. Round the back of the chest and abdomen; pronotum with two out in front of the shoulder teeth; ago - in the chest and back seams and in - propodeum back seam obvious; side view of - propodeum back joints depression; propodeum concave slope back, forming an angle with the base surface. Nodules nearly spherical, non-teeth or spines, back flat.

Queen body length of about 15.0 ~ 16.0mm.

They are most suitable temperature 27-33 ° C.Not less than 10 ° C.

Its strong smell, but I can not describe what that smell like.

I'm sorry, my English is not good, using Google Translate, please understand. Thank you!
I have: Messor aciculatus,M.valentinae,M.minor hesperius,M.wasmanni,M.spec,M.ebeninus,M.cf. erectus,M.capitatus,M.barbarus,M.structor,Manica rubida, Pachycondyla astute.And more than a dozen species of Camponotus.I am willing to share my experience.
Zimmerman
Lid

Bericht door Zimmerman »

Thank you for your reply and for the details. You write they like a cool environment and the nests have depths of up to 1 meter. This sounds like keeping the entire colony at at 27-33°C throughout the year is too high. At the moment the weather in Guangxi is well below 20°C from what I can retrieve from the internet.

Do you know if the nests are sun exposed or are they usually located in the shade?
Like I wrote before, I have a small colony and I would like to keep them at the right temperature. Unfortunately, I do not know where my ants were collected. I read from other people's posts that their Camponotus sp. (xiangban) were from either China or Taiwan. As I posted before, I strongly believe that this ant is C. wasmanni mutilarius, which can be found all the way from Burma to Vietnam.
Below are some links to images of specimens that you can compare your ants with:

http://www.antweb.org/specimenImages.do ... ent0905806

http://www.antweb.org/specimenImages.do ... ent0905414

http://digiins.tari.gov.tw/tarie/Collec ... hKey=Burma

Best regards,
Carl
antmc
Lid

Bericht door antmc »

Zimmerman schreef:Thank you for your reply and for the details. You write they like a cool environment and the nests have depths of up to 1 meter. This sounds like keeping the entire colony at at 27-33°C throughout the year is too high. At the moment the weather in Guangxi is well below 20°C from what I can retrieve from the internet.

Do you know if the nests are sun exposed or are they usually located in the shade?
Like I wrote before, I have a small colony and I would like to keep them at the right temperature. Unfortunately, I do not know where my ants were collected. I read from other people's posts that their Camponotus sp. (xiangban) were from either China or Taiwan. As I posted before, I strongly believe that this ant is C. wasmanni mutilarius, which can be found all the way from Burma to Vietnam.
Below are some links to images of specimens that you can compare your ants with:

http://www.antweb.org/specimenImages.do ... ent0905806

http://www.antweb.org/specimenImages.do ... ent0905414

http://digiins.tari.gov.tw/tarie/Collec ... hKey=Burma

Best regards,
Carl
Maybe we are not talking about a species, because I also have Camponotus wasmanni.
Afbeelding
Afbeelding
Afbeelding
Afbeelding
antmc
Lid

Bericht door antmc »

Ants works 8.0-12.5mm; queen 13.0-15.0mm
They will also fragrant.
Zimmerman
Lid

Bericht door Zimmerman »

Thanks for sharing these beautiful pictures of C. wasmanni. In Germany, ant sellers have falsely named this species C. selene on theis websites.

Camponotus wasmanni mutilarius is a subspecies of C. wasmanni. At the time of its first description, the species was named Camponotus wasmanni var. mutilarius.

C. wasmanni:
Afbeelding

C. wasmanni mutilarius:
Afbeelding
Laatst gewijzigd door Zimmerman op 25 jan 2014, 19:09, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
Zimmerman
Lid

Bericht door Zimmerman »

Can you give some information about habitat of either ant: like, if their nests are located in the sun or in the shade. The second of the above specimens was found at an altitude of around 1000 meters in Burma on December 1888, as you can see on the label. I will be happy about anything you tell me about these ants.
antmc
Lid

Bericht door antmc »

Zimmerman schreef:Can you give some information about habitat of either ant: like, if their nests are located in the sun or in the shade. The second of the above specimens was found at an altitude of around 1000 meters in Burma on December 1888, as you can see on the label. I will be happy about anything you tell me about these ants.
My city is not within the scope of their distribution, I need to determine this information to my friend again.
Zimmerman
Lid

Bericht door Zimmerman »

That would be great, thanks !
antmc
Lid

Bericht door antmc »

Zimmerman schreef:<font><font>那太好了,谢谢!</font></font>
Hello, I'm sorry, I'm late.
They are indeed newly discovered species in China, Camponotus xiangban was the first person to take a temporary name.
They are distributed in Yunnan, Guangxi and other provinces, soil nests, often located in Woodside, grass. Mature large community lair is more complex, the depth can reach one meter. Like in a cool environment, usually mainly by small ants foraging, feeding mainly honeydew, tree pulp or small insects. They usually only one queen, a small part of a multiple queen.
They each have bright orange markings.
antmc
Lid

Bericht door antmc »

Zimmerman schreef:That would be great, thanks !
You can go Antdealer Ameisenshop of facebook, and see August 15 of Tweets.
Plaats reactie