Pogonomyrmex occidentalis (mn) (English)

Alle Pogonomyrmex kolonies van de leden
mn
Lid

Re: Pogonomyrmex occidentalis (mn) (English)

Bericht door mn »

The colony is doing great!

A picture of the nest:
Afbeelding

I think there are around the 150 workers now.
And when I feed the ants there are sometimes up to 40 workers active.

Sunday I'm on vacation for a week, so the ants will be a week without any insects, I already have given them too many seeds.

Questions and comments ?
-Camponotus fulvopilosus
-Messor barbarus
-Pheidole pallidula
mn
Lid

Bericht door mn »

1 August 2010

After a while with only seeds as food for the colony they have done it well.
The rooms were enlarged and there is a nice pile of pupea. Many new workers in the nest. I think there are now 200 workers.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Questions and comments ?
-Camponotus fulvopilosus
-Messor barbarus
-Pheidole pallidula
mn
Lid

Bericht door mn »

9 August 2010

Today a big update.

Their new residence is largely finished and ready for use. Meanwhile, there is what changed at the decor in the outside world, a lot more practical
Afbeelding

I have added a glass plate above the sand-nest, so that, must the workers pile up the sand there is no problem with escaping ants. I've supported it with pieces of silicone tubing so it stays nice and straight.
Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Talcum powder on the edges of the formicarium:
Afbeelding

Here the two nests together to compare:
Afbeelding
You can clearly see the growth of algae that has formed.

Afbeelding
Here you see the nest itself, you can also see that much has collapsed.

The move, I had / have really no idea what I was doing. I have placed the old nest in the new one. And I've made with pieces of wood a small bridge. Much success it wasn't. These ants aren't good climbers.
Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Before the ants where placed in the new nest I have made some pictures and movies:
Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

The outsideworld activities:
Afbeelding

So let's hope they want to move.

Questions or comments ?
-Camponotus fulvopilosus
-Messor barbarus
-Pheidole pallidula
mn
Lid

Bericht door mn »

Moving across the wooden sticks didn't work as expected. I have then, with any risk, overturned carefully the outside world into te new outside world.
I know that these ants when they are under the sand (more than 10cm deep) easily find/dig a way back, so there wasn't a problem.
I was just worried about the larea and pupea that still would be underground. But with a sieve it was easy to find it back.

After more than 24 hours in the new nest the workers where still busy with digging in the sand, looking for workers and brood. Food was not accepted because they were too busy.I was pretty sure I had everything sieved, but this morning I stood with a friend for the tank and suddenly something strange crawling out of the sand, it was the queen! Apparently I missed her when I sieved the sand. She was immediately surrounded by a dozen workers which immediately took the queen and brought her to the nest. A short movie:

Afbeelding

Pieces that were digged by the workers, I think it looks nice:
Afbeelding

Workers with sugar water:
Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Workers with fly:
Afbeelding

Workers with cricket. They still bit off the legs before they take the prey to the nest.
Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

And than a picture from when they where in the previous nest. All the stones stabbing at about the same height in the ceiling of one of the rooms.
Is this a coincidence or not? It's true that there always will be workers who are looking for suitable stone, they even dig them up. Then they dig like a dog. Stones will also be used to control humidity in the nest.
Afbeelding

Questions or comments ?
-Camponotus fulvopilosus
-Messor barbarus
-Pheidole pallidula
mn
Lid

Bericht door mn »

24-8-'10

I suspect that they already have dig a lot, especially to see the pile of sand in the outside world. I haven't looked into the nest itself, I let them do for a while.
I give only crickets and flies, because I don't have the time to search for seeds.

Photos of drinking sugar water.
Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding
-Camponotus fulvopilosus
-Messor barbarus
-Pheidole pallidula
mn
Lid

Bericht door mn »

6-9-'10

Today an update. First my apologies for let you guys waiting. All this because I am currently very busy.

The colony isn't going good since a week. First there were many workers who sat still in the outside world, far from the rest, so it would go about sick ants. That eventually died. Now I count more than 100 dead ants.
since a few days ago it was done with the dead ants in the outside world. So to be sure I looked in the nest itself (For the first time), there was no more to see than some vague rooms and a few tunnels. At that moment I saw some larvae3 and pupae. I also saw that workers were locked in rooms at the front (side of the outside world). Now since yesterday and today have healthy workers actively digging into the outside world, again as a dog would do, so with the front legs. I still give daily food and drink.

I also placed some test tubes in the outsideworld so that they could possibly move, but it doesn't look at it.

Photo:
Afbeelding

Questions and comments ?
-Camponotus fulvopilosus
-Messor barbarus
-Pheidole pallidula
mn
Lid

Bericht door mn »

The colony died after a unknown disease. I have keept the last workers and queen for a while in a plastic nest till they all died.

Pictures of the plastic nest with workers and queen:
Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Questions and comments ?
-Camponotus fulvopilosus
-Messor barbarus
-Pheidole pallidula
Plaats reactie